Hi, list,

There's an optimized data-directory-specific catalog and config loader
plugin developed under geoserver-cloud's code base that we'd like to
contribute upstream as a community module.

Its goal is to improve the startup time of GeoServer when configured with a
data directory that has thousands of layers, stores, etc., and config
objects such as workspace services and settings.

On my laptop's SSD, running off a cold disk cache, for a data-dir with 100K
layers over 100 workspaces, the performance improvement is ~8.5 seconds
instead of ~44.5 seconds, with 2.23.1 as a baseline.

But the most important difference is when you need to load the data dir
from a shared drive, especially NFS, where it regularly takes over 40
minutes, and with this plugin around 4 minutes.

Hence I'm asking the PSC for permission to push this plugin under
community/datadir-catalog-loader

Here's a PR for your reference.

Cheers,

*camptocamp*