Removing the dashes element of the style does seem to have improved
performance, and no longer brings the app to its knees.

Unfortunately, some styles do need to be dashed - for example showing
tunnels that go underground.

<Rule>
<Name>Tunnel</Name>
<Title>Tunnel</Title>
<MaxScaleDenominator>1500</MaxScaleDenominator>
<ogc:Filter>
<ogc:PropertyIsEqualTo>
<ogc:PropertyName>TYPE</ogc:PropertyName>
<ogc:Literal>Tunnel</ogc:Literal>
</ogc:PropertyIsEqualTo>
</ogc:Filter>
<LineSymbolizer>
<Stroke>
<CssParameter name="stroke">#333333</CssParameter>
<CssParameter name="stroke-width">0.2</CssParameter>
<!-- CssParameter name="dasharray">3.0 1.0</CssParameter -->
</Stroke>
</LineSymbolizer>
</Rule>

One workaround would be for me to use a dash above a certain scale, and no
dash below it.  Any SLD gurus advise on whether this can be done within a
single rule, or whether I need a separate rule for each undashed style?

Thanks

Rob