Hi Shaun,

finally had a chance to look through it and try it. I don't really see a
problem, but you probably have an (occasional) collision between what is
configured automatically and what is configured from the XML file.

Change
<name>tiger:common_town</name>
to something else (tiger:common_town_cached),  it'll probably make the
problem disappear for good, and it'll be much easier to debug.

This is true in general, don't use the the same value in <name> as in
<wmsLayers> unless you really know what you are doing.

-Arne