Hello everybody,

I installed GeoServer (DE) 2.0.1 which came with the precompiled
binaries from the GeoNetwork OpenSource package.

I wanted to try out the use of palettes for vector data, but frankly
speaking I don't understand the tutorial from the GeoServer User Manual
(http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/tutorials/palettedimage/palettedimage.html).

The tutorial says that one can generate a custom palette from a vector
data source using IrfanView.
The tutorial starts with loading a png 24 bit into IrfanView.
But how do I get this png file?
Is it the rendered map from a WMS?
And doesn't the created palette need a geo referencing file as well to
be used?

One completly other thing I couldn't find out! What does the (DE) stands
for?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers

Till

--
Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institut
Bundesforschungsinstitut für Ländliche Räume, Wald und Fischerei