On 17/09/2010 07:39, oliver.raym...@ga.gov.au wrote:
> I have an Oracle table of spatial data that I want to serve as WFS using
> Geoserver. The geometries are stored in an Oracle table in ESRI
> ST_geometry format (ie, it comes from an ESRI SDE geodatabase).
>
> Can I serve these data using Geoserver and just an Oracle licence? Or do
> I need SDE installed on my server as well?

You need to go through SDE.
In theory direct access should be possible, but to make it work
we'd need:
- a specification of how a ST_GEOMETRY is encoded
- a specification of how the spatial indexes work so that we can use them
- time (possibly lots of it) to implement this direct code path

Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org