Thanks for all these links. I have almost managed to get the syntax I am looking for. I am still stuck on setting a field to NULL.
This _expression_ parses
<OCQL>if_then_else(equalTo(CAT_DESC, 'No Name'), 'NULL', CAT_DESC)</OCQL>

This does not
<OCQL>if_then_else(equalTo(CAT_DESC, 'No Name'), NULL, CAT_DESC)</OCQL>

Am I approaching this wrong?

As I understand it, "nillable" in GML means the element may be missing. Is there some other way to cause  an element to be conditionally omitted?

Tara