Hi Jon, I just tried to reproduce this bug and was unable to. Here is what i
did.

1. POST'ed a new coverage
2. verified default style being used
3. POST'ed new style
4. POST'ed new default style to layer created in (1)
5. verified new style set on coverage
6. restarted geoserver

And everything continued to work, the default style persists. So not sure
what the issue.

If you can send me the exact sequence of rest calls made to geoserver, and
ideally the style you are trying to post and even more ideal the coverage
you are using i can try again to reproduce. Let me know.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org