Hi,

I have practically no experience on SLD but I believe that one label at
the centre is actually the default. Have a try with the  example styles
of the SLD cookbook at
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld-cookbook/polygons.h
tml#polygon-with-default-label

If your client is asking for tiles the same polygon may have labels in
several tiles but it looks like that is not your problem.

-Jukka Rahkonen-