Hi,

I had my first try couple of weeks ago with Geoserver 2.1 beta1 and Jetty and
the hardest part was to get sun-java installed on the new Ubuntu 10.04 virtual
server. The link below helped me but I had to do one additional installation
before successful Java installation. Unfortunaly I do not remember any more
what it was, propably I was prompted to install something with sudo apt-get.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-install-sun-java-runtime-environment-jre-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx.html#more-5267

The main thing was that "apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-fonts" does
not work out-of-the-box and in the thread there are instructions about what to
do

"after adding the new repo you need to update the apt database, i.e.
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts"

Other link I used was
http://sites.google.com/site/jukkahellen/preparingubuntuforgeoserver

What I still miss is advice on how to keep Geoserver running on the virtual
server after closing the remote SSH console. Perhaps it is to use "nohup" in
some place.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Wolfgang Wasserburger wrote:
Lähetetty: pe 5.11.2010 3:13
Vastaanottaja: 'Mike Pumphrey'; 'johnrobot'
Kopio: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Aihe: Re: [Geoserver-users] How to install GeoServer on Ubuntu?

OK,

her is the way I did it months ago:
----
geoServer
                apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-fonts
                unzip geoserver-2.0.1-bin.zip -d geoserver
                apt-get install tomcat6 tomcat6-admin
                edit /etc/tomcat6/tomcat-users.xml and add propriate users
                some more helps here:
http://grimmeister.wordpress.com/2008/07/28/revisiting-geoserver-on-ubuntu/
                add in: /etc/tomcat6/policy.d/04webapps.policy at the end:
                        permission java.security.AllPermission;
                edit: /usr/share/tomcat6/bin/setclasspath.sh and add near the
first line:

CATALINA_OPTS="-DGEOSERVER_DATA_DIR=/data/geoserver_data"
-----
Go to http://localhost:8080/ (resp. your servername) and deploy the
geoserver-XXX.war

Worked for me