Hi Till,

There have been a few bug fixes with regard to sql server since 2.0.2. I
suggest you try out the latest nightly build of geoserver and the sql server
extension. If the problem persists can you turn on
GEOTOOLS_DEVELOPER_LOGGING and include the query that is being made against
the database when the WMS query is made. And a subset of your data/schema
would help as well.

As for the use of WKT that is the how the geometries are fetched from the
server. Obviously this is suboptimal in that WKB is a much better format
suited for serialization over the wire, but no one has had the mandate to
make that improvement yet. A patch would be very welcome.

-Justin

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org