Dear all,

I am using geoserver for development since half a year and it worked quite OK,
the graphical result was really nice.

As we now liked to change to a production environment, geoserver uses more and
more memory and when all memory is used it crashes and tomcat crashes with
itself.

I now use a cron job to automatically restart tomcat, but this is only a
cosmetical correcture. It won’t work in real production circumstances.

I tried several variations in the configuration within the last three days (and
nights). Nothing did its job.

Only the change from the SUN JVM to OpenJVM is worth to mention since this
ruined the background color to the last color in the SLD.

But now, please, I need the help of the community:

My system is running on a virtual host with 12GB RAM under Ubuntu; we are
running SUN Java 6 and Tomcat 6 with the Geoserver 2.0.2  war-File. The tiles
are requested with GWC by the OpenLayers Library. But it crashes also without
using GWC.

On the same system I’m also running Postgres/PostGIS as a datasource.

The tiles consist of a layerGroup with several Layers with several
FeatureTypeStyles with several Rules. The Request Time ist not the problem, but
the unstability.

I changed the following parameters in various combinations:

-Xmx

-Xms

-XX:PermSize

-XX:PermSizeMax

Compression Level (BTW: in the Doku I could not find, if Level 0 [or 100] is
lowest or highest)

Threads

JAI-Settings

… some more

Does anyone has suggestions how to get it running or am I running into a severe
bug?

Greetings from nightly Vienna

Wolfgang