Hi all,
I'm at the start of a project where a team of distributed developers
will be working on a WMS/WFS client application.  I'd like them all to
be developing against a single GeoServer instance that's under my
control.  The GeoServer won't be shifting high volumes of data, though
will probably be connecting to a co-located instance of PostGIS.

I don't have a server available, nor do I have legacy hardware
available to 're-purpose' for this - so I'll be buying it, and
expsoing it to the Internet via Port Forwarding on my router.

Does anybody have a 'default' platform that they choose for such a requirement?
- do you go for the cheapest Dell PC/Server and put a particular
flavour of Linux straight onto it?
- I don't suppose a NetBook is up to the spec, so we'll probably skip that.
- a Mac Mini Server would probably meet the spec, but do you keep OSX
Server or overwrite with Linux?

Any other suggestions?  Should I be targeting this question at the
GeoServer client community (uDig, OpenLayers) instead of GeoServer
devs?

cheers,
Ian