From: Justin Deoliveira <jdeol...@opengeo.org>
To: Ravi Pavuluri <ravith...@ymail.com>
Cc: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Thu, January 6, 2011 11:07:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] Geoserver Production Environment specs

Hi Ravi,

It really depends on what you expect the load to be on the server. For instance
if you only expect the server to be accessed by a handful of users then some
pretty modest requirements will probably work. For smaller installations that
don't typically handle much load we typically use a vm with 1-2 G of RAM giving
about half of it to geoserver. For larger setups obviously the requirement goes
up.

It also matters what type of traffic you will be doing. For instance if you are
strictly doing WMS then the more memory the better since for rendering the WMS
has to continually allocate large chunks of memory for images. Whereas WFS
operates in a strictly streaming fashion.

There is currently an issue as well in that if you have that many
layers/feature
types you will want to change the "feature type cache settings" (global
settings
page) to be larger than the number of layers/feature types.

Also it is important to properly configure the server in terms of limits. You
should find this article interesting:

http://opengeo.org/publications/geoserver-production/

Hope that helps.

-Justin

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Ravi Pavuluri <ravith...@ymail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What would typically be virtual server specs in terms of RAM  and processor
>speed you would recommend for production environment to serve several
>applications?
>
># of Layers served totally from this server ~200 - 250
># of Layers simultaneously accessed in an application ~10
>Data format(vectors only): PostGIS Layers and few shapefiles(max size of each
>60MB).
># of simultaneous users : Max 5-10.
>
>Also, does one typically serve all the layers from the a BIG server instance
>or
>multiple small server instances with small configuration?
>
>I know that this is a very open ended question. Any rough estimate is
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Ravi.

Justin Deoliveira