I have a vague reference to a categorize function from Mike P which
sounds like what I need (but I still can't find an example). The
tricky bit is that each time the map is requested there will be a
different CQL filter so I need a different classification.

So I know that GeoTools has some classification functions that will
provide me with the class breaks that I will need for the categorize
function (I guess) so my question is - is there some easy way to call
a GT Classification function and use it's returned values to produce
an SLD file or give me those values to use as an env parameter to
populate and SLD?

I guess if all else fails I can look at a WPS process?

--
Ian Turton