Justin,

thanks for your offer, I finally succeeded. The problem was that geoserver seems to be able to identify geometry types when the data comes from a shapefile and assigns a corresponding default polygonsymbolizer (if using polygon data). When using mySQL this fails, but after I manually assigned a simbolizer everything was fine.

Regards,

Markus