Bart,

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction! Got the regex A\D* working to
pick up any road names that start with an "A"

For some reason though,  the expression A\d* doesn't seem to pick up any road
numbers, e.g. "A2" or "A59"...

<ogc:PropertyIsEqualTo>
  <ogc:Function name="strMatches">
    <ogc:PropertyName>openbareruimtenaam</ogc:PropertyName>
    <ogc:Literal>A\d*</ogc:Literal>
  </ogc:Function>
  <ogc:Literal>true</ogc:Literal>
</ogc:PropertyIsEqualTo>