Hi -- I'm not quite sure if this falls into he Users or Developers list, so if
this is the wrong place, please let me know!

I have an existing Java-based web service app (POJO via Axis2 on Tomcat) which
now needs some geospatial data rendered up to a web client as WMS (in fact as
KML)

I've had a look at the docs and there looks to be a pretty serious learning
curve to get from the GeoServer tutorial samples to a working service.

I'm looking for a tutorial app which demonstrates the minimum I need to do to
go in Java from a JDBC PostGIS ResultSet of geodata to a working WMS layer I
can return to my client. GIven that I already have a working webservice, I'd
prefer to be using geoservre libraries to acces the PostGIS backend and produce
the response, than have to build an actual Geoserver plugin, but I'm not sure
if that's even an option? I am, as you can probably tell, a Geoserver newbie...

My desired wrokflow looks like this:

1. My webclient interacts with my service. The webclient doesn't send a
geospatial query, but other data from which the backend needs to compute a
geospatial response

2. As a result, in my webservice backend, I'm computing, for example

SELECT ST_AsText(roads_geom) AS geom
FROM roads
WHERE
  roads_geom && SetSRID('BOX3D(191232 243117,191232 243119)'::box3d,-1);

and getting that back as a JDBC ResultSet.

3. I then need the results of THAT query returned to the calling web service as
KML.

SImple, yes?

All help appreciated. This feels like a FAQ, but if it is, I'm obviously
looking in the wrong places!

Thanks