Hi all,
we've recently developed a new community module that allows for cross
layer filtering.
You can get some details about it in this blog post:
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/2011/02/developer-corner-cross-layer-filtering.html

If anybody is interested and wants to try it out I'd suggest to get a GeoServer
trunk build:
http://gridlock.opengeo.org/geoserver/trunk/
and unzip into it (geoserver/WEB-INF/lib) the querylayer module
which you can find in the community build area:
http://gridlock.opengeo.org/geoserver/trunk/community-latest/

Inclusion of modules in the GS extensions build at each release is based,
among other factors, on user community interest in them.
So let us know if you find them module useful

Feedback welcomed

Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)