This may have to do with the geotools regex (java.util.regex) doesn't
translate to postgresql's internal regex
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/functions-matching.html

Can you capture the queries sent by geoserver to the postgis database on
requesting the labels?

If it turns out to indeed be an issue, maybe geotools should be altered
instead of geoserver?