Have not done this myself: you could make a new layer from a SQL view
that groups points by proximity and then show this (and not the one
with all the points) when you're zoomed out to a particular scale.
I'm not sure what the query to make that view would look like ...
would definitely need to be an aggregate of more than one postgis
function ... I don't know how to write this in SQL, but written out is
something like "considering all sets of points that fall within x
distance of eachother group each point with the group it falls within
that has the maximum members"  I would be VERY interested to see this
written out in SQL ... maybe do some searching on postgis lists.

Ben

http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/sqlview.html
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/reference.html#Geometry_Processing

--
Ben Mearns
Research and Data Management Services, IT-Client Support & Services