This is kind of a 'holy war' topic, with both views very well covered in
http://producingoss.com/en/mailing-lists.html#reply-to

Fogel ends up falling slightly on the side of the behavior we have here for
open source projects.  I think a change would probably screw up a lot of
people who are always on the list, so it's probably going to be a tough
battle to convince enough of the Project Steering Committee (who has
ultimate say on the project policies) to change it.