That's really nice, and I imagine it'd work well.  Indeed you more want to
see _something_ fast, I feel like it's ok if the labels load a bit more
slowly.

I wonder if there's some way we could make that set up easier for users.
Like make a special layer type in OpenLayers, and some way to ease
configuration on the geoserver.  Like if we had like WMS options for 'no
labels' and 'only labels'.  And then just did that at the renderer level,
instead of making people create separate SLD's.

And on the openlayers side we could make a layer type that can take two
URLs, the cache and the dynamic label WMS.