Ciao Ivan,
long story short:

- in the past we used to publish netcdf directly but we dropped tha
approach in favour of using an imagemosaic with a time and
elevation/depth dimension
- we are working on doing contouring and class-based visualization
using these example:
http://bit.ly/g24vHB
http://bit.ly/ewFHoR
- as far as wind arrows are concerned, we are not supporting the WMS
ones for the moment, but it is feasible
- we tend to perform automatic ingestion using geobatch (sooner or
later we will release a public version of what we are doing there :) .

If you want to know more you can ping me.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.