On 03/31/2011 07:30 PM, Federica De Martin wrote:
> Hi, everybody. I'm new to geoserver and I would like to know something more
> about
> how it works.
> I saw that when geoserver application is started and I log in as admin, or
> with
> another user (that I created) , it writes some xml configuration files in the
> data
> folder to save the workspaces/layer...
> If I restart the application I saw that this configuration files disappear; is
> there a way to keep saved this files?

Rather odd... every change to the configuration is saved into XML
files/property
files  scattered all over the GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR: could you specify which is
the
XML file that gets deleted ?

> And then another question: I would like to configure geoserver from another
> application, is it possible? I tried to simply add some files to the geoserver
> data folder (supposing geoserver already started) but it doesn't load the new
> workspace dinamically. Is it possible in some other way? Are there some api I
> should use/call?

The ReST admin API is what you need
(http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/restconfig/index.html).

On the other hand, adding/patching files manually may work (I did it in a
clustered environment) but provided you know what you're doing !

> Please, help me understand something more.

You're welcome.

Regards,

Luca Morandini
http://www.lucamorandini.it