Off the top of my head if you set the featureNS to the same namespace as the
workspace of the layer in geoserver it should work correctly (WFS.v1_1_0),
e.g. in geoserver we have a workspace called *ge* and a namespace of *
http://ge*, openlayers settings are like follows

featurePrefix: "ge",
featureNS: "http://ge";,
featureType: "Bar"

More info here

http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.10/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Protocol/WFS/v1_1_0-js.html

I think WFS v1_0_0 lets you get away without a namespace (i.e. just set a
featureType to "foo:Bar" others not required), but 1.1.0 needs a namespace
to correctly filter responses.

Cheers,
Adon

Adon Metcalfe