Well, afaict WMS 1.3 is doing "the right thing", and 1.1.1 getcaps is
simply assuming layer groups are not queryable, though if you actually
issue a GetFeatureInfo against a layer group it does work.

WMS 1.3 getcaps is setting queryable to 1 only if all the layers in the
layer group are queryable, otherwise it sets it to zero.

Checking against queryable to determine if a layer is made up of a
LayerGroup seems not like a steady way of doing so, and I don't think
there's any in the getcaps doc that guarantees you it won't break some
time.

For the sake of another hack, may be you can try using a name prefix for
layer groups or so. At least that way it'd be totally under your
control?

Cheers,
Gabriel

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 14:52 +0200, Zsolt Sandor wrote:
> Gents,
>
> I found a difference in WMS 1.3.0 and 1.1.0 using geoserver.
>
> My query was:
>
> http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=getcapabilities
>
> and
>
> http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=getcapabilities
>
> For layer groups using wms 1.1 geoserver sends back queryable="0"
> while using wms 1.3 it sends back queryable="1".
>
> I used queryable=0 to decide, whether a group is a layer group, or not.
>
> I use the latest geoserver 2.1-RC3 on Windows.
>
> Can someone please double check it?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Zsolti

Gabriel Roldan
grol...@opengeo.org
Expert service straight from the developers