I believe we can subvert the w3ds to support collada as well which is an
internally a scenegraph and very much competing / complementary standard
to x3d (much like KML/GML).

Regarding Glob3, yes they have done some work with 3D assets and LOD based
rendering with octiles. I am actively experimenting with the NetCDF
support for glob3 in a clone - https://github.com/whatnick/glob3_csiro/.

You can see some videos based on bits of work we did on glob3 here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15821898/vlc-output_winds.mp4
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15821898/vlc-output.mp4

Cheers,

Tisham.