On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM,  <jim.me...@concept-solutions.com> wrote:
>  Hi Everyone,
>
>    We are using GeoServer 2.0.2 and serving a layer group which
>  combines raster (i.e. image mosaic) and vector data.  Our performance is
>  really slow at the "10th" zoom level when our data isn't entirely
>  cached.  (Caching this layer would take way too long).
>
>    We are using Solaris with 64 virtual CPUs and it appears that we are
>  only using one of the virtual CPUs.  So, GeoServer is taking multiple
>  minutes to serve this data.
>
>    How can we get GeoServer to use the other CPUs?

One request, one cpu, that's the rule for GeoServer 2.0.x
GeoServer 2.1.x will go and use, to a certain extend, two cpus
per request.

Servers are setup to serve many concurrent requests, using many
cpus at light loads is certainly interesting, but its not so trivial
to have that approach not explode in one's face when one
gets 100 concurrent requests.

If you are interested in implementing more parallelism for a single
request let us know, the task is not trivial but we have some ideas
on how to handle it

Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)