On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Gis Mage <gism...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I'm serving a PostGIS table, containing attributes as codes like field001,
> field002 etc...
> I've got another non spatial table, containing aliases for fields - just a
> table with two columns - code, alias.
>
> I wonder, how can I serve aliases instead (or additional to) of fields in
> requests like getfeatureinfo and wfs getfeature?
> I believe customization of responses is done with ftl templates, but I don't
> know how to add values from another table of the store inside a template.
> Forming views with aliases as field names in my database is not convenient,
> because the client app is going to make wfs transactions and edit the data,
> wich is impossible with views I guess.
>
> Can anyone help me out with that?

What you ask is not possible at the moment.

I would love to be able to set aliases on the various fields and still be able
to use WFS-T, it's been on my wish list for quite some time, with some
databases, like for example Oracle, there is simply no way to avoid very
ugly names on fields in the db.

That said, doing what you ask requires setting up a new wrapping data store
that can do the field name translation forwards (when serving data) and
backwards (to turn the filters and field name requests back in their native
names before hitting the actual data source).
And then configuration and GUI to allow changing the names, and test
a lot to make sure it's not breaking anything.

Doable, but quite a sizeable chunk of work too. I'm waiting for sponsoring
to show up to do it, it's too big to fit in spare time coding (done in
spare time
it would eat up all weekends for a few months).

Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)

fax:      +39 0584 962313