2011/4/20 Andrés Maneiro <amane...@icarto.es>:
> Thanks Andrea,
>
> my workaround was to pass as parameter to the jvm -XX:MaxPermSize=128M.
>
> If I understand it correctly, that parameter limits the size of memory
> the garbage collector can take: so although with memory leaks, it won't
> invade the other portions of memory assigned to the jvm and the
> application will work.

Nope, that is not what the permanent generation does, it contains the byte
code of the various classes one loads (either from jar, or built at runtime
by bytecode manipulation libraries).

http://blogs.sun.com/jonthecollector/entry/presenting_the_permanent_generation

Large applications need more perm gen than small ones, GeoServer happens
to be one of the large ones (Eclipse is another example)

Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)

fax:      +39 0584 962313