On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Ravi Pavuluri <ravith...@ymail.com> wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> Thank you for your response. Let me put it in a different way.
>
> PostGIS Database Server has 45+ databases and tables(imported shapefiles)
> are stored in default "public" schema. Each database has 8-10 tables. When
> I create PostGIS connection to a database using GeoServer interface, I limit
> max connections to that database as 8.
>
> Based on your reply, I think it is where the connection pooling is enabled.
> Am I correct?

Correct. With this setup you have at most 45 * 8 open connections: 360.

> Looks like JNDI doesn't help with my data organization.
>
> I will have to restructure my data to put them in different schemas in the
> same database. Correct?
> Is there any script(s)/mechanism that help me to re-publish my data to make
> use of JNDI?

Not aware of any, you might want to search on Google.

> I check the RAM usage using "Webmin" module where approx 2GB of RAM is
> given to Java/Tomcat/GeoServer followed by the list of processes(sample
> provided below). There is a significant amount of styling for each of the
> layers.
>
> PID                Owner         Size                           Command
> 32426
> pgsql 87580 kB postgres: postgres MyLayer1 127.0.0.1(33444) idle
>
> "Size" is what telling me the RAM usage(Correct me if I am wrong). The
> connections are made and you can see they become idle very soon after they
> are made.May be they are sitting in the buffer pool of DB? I do not check
> the "HTTP Caching" option while publishing the data layers.

They are sitting in the pool, that's what the pool is for: keeping
connections open to avoid
the (significant) overhead involved in closing and opening them.

Tech lead

fax:      +39 0584 962313

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/