If you're using the embedded GWC in GeoServer then it should get
automatically refreshed if you use a WFS-T transaction or change a style.
 We use this by default with local layers in our GeoExplorer app -
http://suite.opengeo.org/geoexplorer.  All layers are automatically cached,
but refresh if you edit or change a style.  If your changes are happening
outside GeoServer you can set up GeoWebCache to read a GeoRSS feed and
refresh based on that - it should report to GWC what changed.

Chris