This constraint is only enforced in the editor form.  You can create a
smaller style, save it, shut down geoserver, replace the .sld in
data/styles/, and start geoserver up again and GeoServer will load up the
style even if it is a little bigger than the form will accept.  On the other
hand, you won't be able to edit that style through the web form anymore (it
will load but trying to save will trigger the error again.)

There are some techniques you can use to shrink the SLD; one is to save all
the styling attributes in your data and then write your style to reference
properties:

<sld:CssParameter
name="stroke"><ogc:PropertyName>line_color</ogc:PropertyName></sld:CssParameter>

here, "line_color" is the name of a property in your database which will be
used as the color for the line stroke.  Using this technique, you can make
styles with arbitrarily complex logic with an SLD of fixed size.  On the
downside, it moves all that logic into preprocessing on the data.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/