Hi

2) How do you apply the inspire_common:DEFAULT style
As far as I understand you change the style <Name> (and <Title> and <Abstract>)
in the style editor to inspire_common:DEFAULT or to whatever style name is
defined for the INSPIRE theme. And of course, you change the style  according
to requirement 62 of
http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/Data_Specifications/D2.5_v3_3.pdf.
There are some examples in the document defining Adminstrative Units
http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/Data_Specifications/INSPIRE_DataSpecification_AU_v3.0.1.pdf
  (Section 11.2 Default styles).

I hope this helps.
Sibylle

Mag. Sibylle Saul
Bundesanstalt Statistik Österreich
Abteilung Register, Klassifikationen und Methodik
Kartographie und GIS
Guglgasse 13, 1110 Wien
Tel.: +43-1-71128 8024
E-Mail: sibylle.s...@statistik.gv.at