Its java-1_6_0-ibm, the one that came with SLES, we're trying to keep as
much of the SLES-Repos as possible, already had to get two clean
installations done after installing packages that didn't come from Novell
that were producing errors ...

We had Geoserver in tomcat in our test environment and had problems that
tomcat itself randomly crashed, for example when deploying a war-file with
it, and we wanted to keep geoserver out of it so that if tomcat crashes at
least geoserver would still be accessible.
Why would you prefer a tomcat installation?

Dennis.