Hi,

Definitely its a bug. I have also encountered it sometimes, but giving
different name to layer when that situations have solved that problem.

As GS per documentation, users can have same names for their layers if the
same names present in different workspaces or different datastores.
Different datastores is given errors to me... same layer names present in
different work spaces didnt give any errors till now.

Regards,
Hari.