On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Morgen Bullock Healy <mhe...@appgeo.com>wrote:

>  All-****
>
> We are running Geoserver 2.1 on a virtual machine to support multiple
> different websites, all of which have different data.  So, we have many
> layers, styles, layer groups, etc with a very careful naming convention to
> keep track of which ones belong to which website.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> In some cases we want to copy a subset of layers, layer groups, and styles
> (i.e. everything for one of the sites) from one geoserver instance to
> another.  Is there a quick way to do this without having to re-publish all
> layers, re-assign all styles, and re-build all layer groups?  Since we want
> to just copy a subset, simply copying the entire data_dir is not going to
> work.****
>
> ** **
>
> Can we safely copy certain files and folders from data_dir\workspaces,
> data_dir\layergroups and data_dir\styles from one machine to another,
> restart, and expect to see everything as we want it on the 2nd machine?
>   We’ve tried this with mixed results.  Sometimes Geoserver throws errors on
> restart.  Are there any tricks to this?****
>
> ** **
>
> Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated.

What you're doing _should_ work, not sure what errors might arise.

It would certainly be nice to have config import/export abilities from the
GUI, select workspace/layers/styles
from one server, download a zip file with everything, upload on the other,
would make for a popular
extension module.

Tech lead

fax:      +39 0584 962313