G'Day all,

As a relative newbie to this space I'm still grappling with some of the
basic concepts such as how to optimise the management of multi-layered
shapefiles.

For example, we have been given a single shape file by a researcher and it
contains 100+ layers (eg: boundaries, fish1, birds2, ...n)

Because we did not know any differently, I uploaded the shapefile to PostGIS
and then published it in GeoServer as a single layer.

We have prepared 100+ individual style sheets and uploaded them as well.

Now we go through a process of *republishing* the same shape file over and
over again, each time applying the next stylesheet. Not only is this really
tedious, it feels completely inelegant.

I note that in the final map (produced in GeoExplorer) that when we click on
one of these layers (eg layer=birds2) for feature info, columns for the
entire 100+ shapefile are returned. I can only guess then that I'm following
quite a ridiculous method for managing the shapefile.

And we're not dealing with just one shapefile with 100+ layers...we have
lots of them to manage.

Thus, this small flare ... a plea for wise counsel!

Thanks indeed,

JB

---

John Brisbin

Managing Director, BoaB interactive

[mb] +61 (0)407 471 565

[ph] +61 (0)7 3103 0574 (voice 2 text)

[im] skype:boabjohn

[www] http://www.boab.info

[po] POB 802, Townsville QLD 4810 AUSTRALIA