I have been experimenting a bit with automated conversion of Mapnik map
configurations to GeoServer-friendly SLD (and a bit more, using the REST API
to set up a LayerGroup.)  It is pretty rough at this point but if you are
interested the sources are available from
http://github.com/dwins/mapnik2geotools/

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/