hi there,

we have upgraded a server from 2.0.2 to 2.1.0 and have noticed a change that
I'm not sure was intended or is a regression/bug.

previously I have been able to change the definition (=source TIF file) of a
coverage with a REST request such as:

curl -u admin:xxx -v -XPUT -H "Content-type: text/plain" -d
"file:C:\data\image.tif"
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/workspaces/x123/coveragestores/depart_msg/external.geotiff?configure=first&coverageName=depart_msg&coverageTitle=depart_msg

this request creates the data store and layer if they don't already exist, and
in version 2.0.2 it would update their definitions if they did, with subsequent
GetMaps returning the new file immediately.  In the newer version now though I
need to perform a 'configuration reload' to get the change affected, which
results in a delay that is too long for our application.

deleting and re-adding the coverage works without a reload but again takes
longer than we can bear (the update frequency for this is fairly high).

was this intentional, is there a better way to update the source tif file for a
given coverage that doesn't require a whole server config reload?

thanks,

-ivan