Possibly identified.
A SLD with only one rule that has an <ElseFilter/> in it renders in WMS images
in both 2.0.1 and 2.1.1, but the kml comes back blank in 2.1.1 and is populated
in 2.0.1.

Simple reproduction: Take the SLD from Andrea's dynamic-symbolizers blog post
http://blog.geoserver.org/2008/12/08/dynamic-symbolizers-part-1/ and add the
elsefilter.

We were sticking elsefilters in our default SLD's to keep it simple for users
adding extra rules.  It doesn't really serve a purpose to have them in a one
rule SLD.  The only thing of note might be the difference in the WMS responses
png vs kml.

Zach