I know Gabriel has a way of looking at the headers in the response,
but I forget exactly what that is.

What I do is look at the GWC page in GeoServer in the disk quota
section.  If you move around the map some and then reload that page
the amount of data cached should increase.  You can check to be sure
there are differences by checking maps on the GWC end point, as it
always caches.