I haven't used the rest api but that sounds like what you want. However I
wanted to mention two things.

1. I'd be interested in seeing a "layer copy" feature to be able to quickly
setup a new layer that was very similar to an existing one, but change some
attributes (including store/layer)

2. What viewer are you talking about here? I have only used openlayers but you
should be able to specify the layer you want info for in a get feature info
request.

charles