Geoserver 2.1.0 and 2.1.1

I have an image pyramid build from a number of geotiffs where there are large
gaps in the dataset.

If I make a GetMap request with a bounding box that doesn't include any of the
geotiffs I get back a black box.

In Geoserver 1.7.6 I fixed this by setting OutputTransparentColour to 000000.

With 2.1.x setting  OutputTransparentColour to 000000 gives me either:

code="internalError" Rendering process failed
Unsupported data type.

or

Error rendering coverage on the fast path
java.lang.IllegalStateException:
Unsupported data type.
Unsupported data type.

depending on whether -Dorg.geoserver.render.raster.direct.disable=true is set.

How can I set no data areas to transparent in Geoserver 2.1.x?

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith