Yesterday started a discussion about translation support for geotools on the
geotools developer list. I'd like to point you to a crowdin geoserver
project for the trunk:

http://crowdin.net/project/geoserver

It requires only a google account or the potential translator have to
register for free. I've no idea of the current state of the uploaded
property files, maybe its worth to upload the current from trunk to get the
added merged. If completely translated its possible to export, merge into
the source tree from svn export and commit these to the SVN repo, in case of
commit access.

In the past few day I started a fork for the 2.1.x branch to get a completed
German translation ... : http://crowdin.net/project/geoserver-21x

Feel free to contact the http://crowdin.net/profile/lazareveugene for the
trunk and myself for the branch. please review the current from branch,
these are up to date (original) and the completion status is not 100% ;)

I like the idea of collaboration on translations for non developers.

Cheers, Frank