From: Rahkonen Jukka [mailto:jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi]
Sent: 25 November 2011 13:19
To: Mark Hall; 'geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Re: WMS address

Hi,

The address to give for WMS clients like QGis, Kosmo GIS, OpenJUMP, gvSIG,
MapInfo, ArcGIS etc. is
http://server:port/geoserver/wms?

Clients are adding the rest.  If you want to read the capabilities with a
browser you must add some parameters yourself.
http://demo.opengeo.org/geoserver/wms?service=wms&version=1.1.1&request=getCapabilities

Your browser does not necessarily show the response because of an odd MIME type
used in WMS 1.1.1.  That's normal and you can just save the result on disk and
open with a text editor. Try then the same with your own server.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

________________________________
Mark Hall  wrote:
As I said i am a novice fumbling towards my modest goal of publishing some
shapefiles on a WMS.

My layers are in place and I can see them using OpenLayers via Layer preview
but I am struggling to find the service from my other software (which supports
WMS) and I am not sure what address to use.  The address in OpenLayers is...

myPcServername:portNo/geoserver/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetMap&layers=J02-New&styles=&bbox=-244588.376,6176682.56,1198377.782,7691252.968&width=487&height=512&srs=EPSG:23031&format=application/openlayers

The application I am using trims this address and looks for the service at...

http:// myPcServername:portNo
/geoserver/wms?f=json<http://vng-geosvr-01:8080/geoserver/wms?f=json>

but claims that there was no response.

I couldn't find a lot of information about this anywhere - any idea what I am
doing wrong?
I gave my Workspace a namespace URI of http:// myPcServername:portNo
/MarksTest, is that how it is supposed to be used?
Should that then be part of the WMS address?
Does the fact that OpenLayers can preview my file mean that the WMS is up and
running correctly?

Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards

Mark Hall

Notice: This message and any attachments are solely intended for the addressees
and are confidential.
If you receive this message in error, please delete it and immediately notify
the sender. Any uses not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or
disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval. The
internet cannot guarantee the integrity of this message. VNG Norge AS will
therefore not be liable for the message if modified. Thank you.