Hi,

i am trying for the first time to make a new gridset. I have read the docs, and
seen many examples. There are of course many configuration parameters, but I
would like to start at the beginning and start the gridset with as few
parameters as possible and then gradually build them into the geowebcache.xml
file.

system: Ubuntu 10.04/ Geoserver-2.1.2 / Geowebcache -integrated geoserver
version

My question is....how can I really test out the gwc configuration to find out
whether it works?

yours,

Rob

My first attempt is the following:

1. create geowebcache.xml in the gwc directory of GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR

2. ( Question!!  does the geowebcache.xml have to be owned by tomcat6?...what
about file permission?)

3. Obtain the srs extents from http://www.spatialreference.org....in my case
they were for EPSG:31467 and therefore

-Projected Bounds: 3386564.9400, 5237917.9109, 3613579.2251, 6104500.7393

4. using this as a a template
(source: http://geowebcache.org/docs/1.2.2/_sources/configuration/xml/simple.txt)
 I created my geowebcache.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gwcConfiguration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://geowebcache.org/schema/1.2.2/geowebcache.xsd";
xmlns="http://geowebcache.org/schema/1.2.2";>
<version>1.2.2</version>
<backendTimeout>120</backendTimeout>
<gridSets>
<gridSet>

<name>31467</name>
<srs>
<number>31467</number>
</srs>
<extent>
 <coords>
 <double>3386564.9400</double>
 <double>5237917.9109</double>
<double>3613579.2251</double>
<double>6104500.7393</double>
 </coords>
 </extent>
<tileHeight>256</tileHeight>
<tileWidth>256</tileWidth>
</gridSet>
</gridSets>
<layers>
<wmsLayer>
<name>zgb:topotest</name>
<mimeFormats>
<string>image/png</string>
</mimeFormats>
<gridSubsets>
<gridSubset>
<gridSetName>31467</gridSetName>
</gridSubset>
</gridSubsets>
<wmsUrl>
<string>http//:maps.zgb.de/geoserver/wms</string>
<bgColor>0x0066FF</bgColor>
 <palette>popshade</palette>
</wmsUrl>
</wmsLayer>