Note there's some open source code that can handle this, and there are some
plans to try to bring it in to GeoServer WPS in the next six months or so.

The core project is http://opentripplanner.org which has built a really
vibrant open source community with a number of deployments in multi-modal
trip planning.

But the cooler thing is http://analyst.opentripplanner.org/ - taking that
core functionality and turning it to processes for analysis.

I'm not sure what kind of skills / resources you have Fabio, but if you
want to help on getting those process in to GeoServer that'd be really
great.