Hi Manesh,

You should make those changes to startup.bat, which for me was located
at C:\Program Files (x86)\geoserver-2.2\bin\startup.bat

I made those changes to line 120 and this is what I have now:

"%RUN_JAVA%" -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -Xms48m -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:+UseCompressedOops -DGEOSERVER_DATA_DIR="%GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR%"
-Djava.awt.headless=true -DSTOP.PORT=8079 -DSTOP.KEY=geoserver -jar
start.jar

Regards,

Ben

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Pillai, Manesh
<mpil...@howardcountymd.gov>wrote:

> Hello,****
>
> ** **
>
> We’re playing around with GeoServer (2.1.3) and we’re looking at this page:
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/production/container.html****
>
> ** **
>
> with some nice parameters to help optimize our install.  However, being
> Java-ignorant we’re not exactly sure where we apply those parameters.
> We’re using the default install of GeoServer on Windows (it’s using Jetty)
> and it’s running as a service.  We’re also using Oracle JRE 1.6.0.27.  So
> where would we attach those parameters?****
>
> ** **
>
> My guess (I really don’t know much about Java) is that I add a JAVA_OPTS
> environment variable in Windows (I noticed that there was already a
> JAVA_HOME variable listed there) and add the parameters we want (like
> “-server” or changing the PermGen space with “-XX:MaxPermSize=128m”).  If
> that’s not it then I assume there’s a file I need to edit somewhere?****
>
> ** **
>
> So basically if we’re running GeoServer as a Windows service where do we
> make the changes outlined in the documentation link above?****
>
> ** **
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.****
>
> ** **