> Yes, the format is the same, but the .qix files generated by GeoServer
> should be smaller and perform somewhat better
> (we have a few heuristics to get a small but effective index, avoid
> isolated laves with single records and the like).
> A recent version of uDig will generate the same .qix file as GeoServer
> though

Hi Andrea,

Your remark aroused my curiosity. I have indeed identified a small addition in
the geotools port of shapelib's shptree.c that must explain that optimization
and adapted it to shptree.c. I've not verified however if the geotools .qix and
shapelib .qix are now identical, but I've seen that the new code path is
triggered in some conditions.

See http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4472 for the patch.

Best regards,

Even